A Work Visa is Important -
Best Options for Nurses

A Work Visa is a necessary part of beginning your Travel Nurse experience in Australia. Nurses are in high demand in Australia however here are still processes that need to be adhered to. The Department of Immigration states that for most Nurses applying for a Visa, applications will get priority processing.

To be eligible for a Work Visa nurses will need to be in good health, have a certain level of education and hold current Nursing Registration in Australia.

It can be confusing trying to work out how, where and what! Here is a brief explanation of the types of visas available for Nurses coming to Australia.

Travel Nurse

If you are planning on a Travel and Work holiday only, not long stay or immigration, and are aged between 18 and 30 then the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)- is a great option for you. You are able to work and travel in Australia for up to 12 months, working with one employer for up to six months at a time. You can leave and enter Australia any amount of times during this 12 month and you can study for up to four months.

There is also a Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) available for young people 18-30 from the following countries








Bangladesh - an agreement is currently being negotiated

For more information see the

Employer Sponsored Visa

If you want a longer stay and want to work, and are aged under 45, then you may want to look at a Temporary Business (long stay) Standard Business Sponsorship(subclass 457).

This is commonly used by employers to sponsor overseas nurses to help fill vacancies they are unable to fill because of the shortage of locally trained nurses in Australia.

This Work Visa allows holders to work in Australia for up to 4 years for the nominated sponsored employer. Nurses with this Visa can bring eligible secondary applicants to Australia who will also be eligible to work or study whilst in Australia. You can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you like.

For more information see the Immigration Website

How do I stay to do Supervised Practice or Bridging Course?

If you are required to complete a supervised practice program or bridging course for overseas nurses then you will need to apply for one of the following:-

Business Short Stay Visa (subclass 456) - this is an ideal Work Visa for this process.

Student Visa- you may also be eligible for this type of Work Visa Skilled Migration.

For more information got to the Immigration website

I want to stay in Australia

If you are thinking of applying for skilled migration you will need to read information at

Skilled Migration

Return from Work Visa to Nurse in Australia
Go to Travel Nurse Information Australia Home Page